Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bobby Vee

We can all have an impact on someone else at anytime without ever knowing it. Two people who came into my life only long enough to make a difference are Bobby Vee and his daughter, Jenny.
For those who don't know, Bobby Vee is a singer whose biggest hits were in the 1960s. He still tours and still sings an outstanding concert.

He came to our community in December for a Christmas concert. He sang with a sixth-grade choir from one of our middle schools. My daughter belongs to that choir. Singing is her passion and she hopes to be a professional singer one day, so she was pretty excited about this opportunity.

I wanted to share with Bobby Vee her pleasure at being able to sing at this concert, so I sent an email to his website (www.bobbyvee.net.) In it I thanked him for the opportunity he was giving these kids. I didn't realize at the time what an opportunity it was for all of us.

My husband and I were able to meet Bobby and Jenny before the concert. I was very impressed with their attitude. They didn't treat meeting fans like just part of the job, but truly seemed to be enjoying themselves.

When I introduced myself, both of them mentioned the email I had sent. They told me how much it meant to them. That comment alone made my night.

What they didn't realize is that I have recently conquered a chronic illness. After many years of not working, I am writing again. More importantly, I have always wanted to make a positive impact on others. (Check the title....Can I Change A Life.) Being away from writing for so long has left me wondering if my words can influence anybody. Bobby Vee and Jenny showed me they can.

If that was all they had left me with that night it would've been more than enough, but there is more.

The concert was memorable. I realized the staying power of Bobby Vee's music when he would announce the dates various songs were released. Often they were the year I was born or shortly after...yet to many of them I knew every word. That just isn't true about most artists.

I love writing, but music is my passion. Many things have happened recently to make me realize that I need to get back into performing (I'm an instrumentalist) and this concert was one of them. Music runs deep in my soul. Listening isn't enough; my drive is to perform again. Nothing I've experienced can beat using music to reach into a person's soul and enhance a life. I buried that desire deep inside because I haven't known what to do with it, but I left that night just knowing that I can't keep the music inside of me anymore.

My husband was also influenced. After the concert he said he can't remember the last time he had so much fun. Fun is the key word for that night...Bobby and his family and band members get on that stage and have such a great time together that it's impossible not to join in.

Ever since that night we play a lot more music in our house (including, of course, our new Bobby Vee CDs.) We're planning a trip during spring break to Branson, where we hope to catch several concerts. This would not have happened if Bobby Vee had not performed here in December.

After meeting him and his daughter, I am guessing they make a positive impact on people wherever they go. I hope one day I can do the same.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful article! I want to tell you that I met Bobby Vee 42 years ago and he has not changed a bit over the years. He and his family make a difference in the lives of all the people they meet and you were just lucky enough to find that our for yourself!

Good luck with your music!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Along with Izzy, I loved your article. And also ever since I met Bobby 5 years ago, he has made a big impression on my life. He is truly a fan's friend. He has a natural gift that always makes the person he is talking to feel special. He has touched my sister's life too--by way of bringing the 2 of us closer. We had grown so far apart with our different lives--even though we never lived more than a couple miles apart. This was sad especially since we are twins. Since I took her with me to see Bobby about 3 years ago, it has become what Bobby's son Jeff refers to--as our hobby-- to travel any where we can to see his show. We have something in common now. Every where Bobby's show might take us is an adventure, and we usually get to meet very nice people along the way too. Good luck to you and your daughter in your future music endeavors. Judy Kinter

Anonymous said...

Super article, My wife & I have met Bobby a few times and always enjoy his shows and his friendship, he always has time for his fans and friends. We will be seeing him again this summer. good luck with your music and your writeing. Howard & Mary Olson

Anonymous said...

There are some great Branson shows to see if you go back up!